Frequently Asked Questions
5 reasons to choose The DOG Nanny Group.
- We take pet care seriously. Our clients (two legged and four legged) are very important to us. This is not a hobby or side gig for extra cash – The DOG Nanny Group, LLC is a professional local pet care company that has completed more than 30,000 visits in this community since 2010.
- We work as a team to offer quality, compassionate care for you and your pets. We are the only in-home service in the area that is available to you 365 days per year.
- We are bonded, insured and utilize a multi-faceted system for hiring the best individuals to care for your pets. All DOG Nanny employees are carefully vetted and undergo a thorough background check.
- Each staff member receives on the job training as well as continuing education through FetchFind. Our Pet Care Specialists have also received a certification in pet CPR and first aid through ProPetHero.
- Our Pet Sitter Plus on-line scheduling platform offers you a personalized client portal which can be accessed at your convenience 24/7. We are as easy to use as any App company – we just offer way more for your buck!
How long have you been in business?
What is in-home pet sitting?
Why should I use a pet sitter rather than board my pet(s)?
Pets are most comfortable at home, in their own familiar surroundings. With us, your fur kids get to hang out in their yard, play with their favorite toys and go for walks with their Nanny! Our sitters will learn about your pet’s likes, dislikes, and make sure they’re happy, loved and receiving plenty of snuggles. Have a special feeding routine? Not a problem – we don’t charge extra for special requests, pampering, or dispensing medications! In fact, care customized to your needs and the needs of your pet is what we do! Between visits, your pet will be able to stretch out peacefully on the sofa or lounge in their favorite sunny spot until it’s time for our next visit. Having a professional pet sitter care for your pets at home is the next best thing to having you there. This will be evident when you arrive home to a relaxed, confident and happy pet.
5 things that set us apart from App sitters.
2. Our goal is to build a lasting relationship with our clients that carries through the lifetime of your pet. This is our profession – not a side hustle to make some extra cash.
3. We are bonded and insured for your protection. No client of ours has ever been asked to sign a non-disclosure agreement to hide the truth.
4. We hire employees – not independent contractors. This means we can legally train our staff and oversee their work (unlike App sitters). Our employees are also covered under workers’ compensation insurance which protects you and them if there were to be a workplace incident or injury. Simply put, we have more control over your experience with us. An App platform is only a middleman and you get what you get – good or bad.
5. We work as a team. We have more than one team member who knows your pets and their routine. We pride ourselves in our ability to serve you consistently, when you need us.
What are your hours?
What areas do you service?
Do you only care for cats and dogs?
How do I get started?
CLICK HERE. After you complete your registration, we will be in touch, or you can call 828-PET-NANY (828-738-6269) to discuss your reservation and set up a consultation. This is best done 10-days to 2 weeks prior to your first visit when scheduling vacation care. At the Consultation, we will get acquainted and discuss care details. During this meeting you will need to show proof of vaccinations for each pet (Rabies for dogs and cats, Distemper/Parvo for dogs), provide a working house key to be kept in the office and have your lockbox or coded door knob so the code can be tested and verified. The Dog Nanny Group business policies will be discussed as well as a review of the Service Agreement and other necessary paperwork. Most importantly, the Nanny will spend some time getting to know and bonding with your pet(s). Payment for services is also required at the consultation. Consultations are free with your first booking. A $25 fee will apply for consultations/new client intakes when the first service is canceled.
How do I create my account?
How do I log in?
Why is the Consultation necessary before caring for my pet?
This is a great opportunity for us to meet. We will collect detailed information on the care of your pet, learn their routine and see where their supplies are kept. We will answer any questions, do some paperwork, and make sure we are all set for your reservation. We will also collect your spare key, test your lockbox or door code and make sure we can gain entrance to your home. And most important, meet your pet(s) so they know us and feel comfortable when we arrive for our first visit.
Why do you use lockboxes?
1. Keeping your keys on your property reduces the risk of loss or theft.
2. It provides you with peace of mind knowing you can change the combination at any time.
3. Lockboxes can be used for anyone who need access to your home like housekeepers and contractors.
4. Being keyless allows us to serve you better while keeping us on schedule.
5. When you have a key in a lockbox – you will never lock yourself out of the house again!
Where is the best place to put my lockbox?
Why do you require 2 sets of keys?
We want to be prepared for anything that comes our way! Things happen: 1. Your lockbox won’t open, 2 Your lockbox is empty, 3 Your sitter accidentally locks your key in your house. Keeping a spare key at the office allows us to maintain your pet’s care. There will be an added visit charge when codes have been changed without updating us and when your key is not in the lockbox.
What is a typical vacation schedule for cats and dogs?
Vacation services are customized to your pet’s needs. Each visit begins with a potty break and play time or walk, plenty of love and companionship, fresh water, feeding at mealtimes, medications when necessary, a house check, last potty outside, and treats when permitted!
The minimum number of visits for dogs is 3 per day which is 7-8 hours between visits. Most of our clients choose 4 visits per day (early morning, lunchtime, suppertime and bedtime) which is 5-6 hours between visits. We require daily visits for cats, and we have many clients who schedule two visits per day for their felines (morning and evening).
How long are visits?
How will I know how my pet is doing while I’m away?
What is your weather policy?
What happens in case of an emergency with my pet?
If your pet is having a health emergency, we will call your Veterinarian or an emergency Vet Clinic and transport if necessary. Whatever the issue, we will be in constant contact to keep you informed.
When things like this occur, there will be additional charges based on time and travel.
Are there any additional costs involved?
1. Holidays and prime days around holidays
2. When extra time is required for the care of your pet(s)
3. When we have to shop and purchase supplies for the care of your pet.
4. When non-household pets are added for care during a reservation
5. Cancellation fees may apply when reservations are changed or cancelled
Can I pay for my services online?
Absolutely! Clients set up a credit card with Stripe (our processor) and pay when an invoice is received. Payment is due a minimum of 3 days prior to service or at the time of your consultation – whichever comes first.
Should I Tip My Dog Walker or Pet Sitter?
You can leave a cash tip at your home or, feel free to mail a check. You may also put a tip on your credit card, but we do prefer cash and checks for this purpose.
What is your cancellation policy?
0-24 hours notice: 50% of the total reservation bill is due ($300 maximum)
2-4 days notice: 25% of the total reservation bill is due ($150 maximum)
5 or more days notice: there is no cancellation fee
Cancellation during any Holiday week:
0-4 days notice: 100% of the reservation bill is due
5-10 days notice: 50% of the reservation bill is due
11 or more days notice: there is no cancellation fee
Holidays include: Easter weekend, Memorial Day weekend, Independence Day and surrounding days, Labor Day weekend, Thanksgiving (Wednesday-Sunday), Christmas week thru New Year’s Day
Cancellation Policy for recurring schedule daily dog walking clients: When notification occurs by 8am the morning of the visit, and the sitter can be reached, no cancellation fee. Notification after 8am the morning of the visit, the full visit fee is charged. If the sitter cannot be reached, or is already on the way, full visit fee is charged.
Once a reservation has begun: No refunds or service credits will be issued for early returns, or canceled visits.
Cancellation of first reservation: A $25 fee will be charged for the consultation on top of the cancellation fee.
I am unsure about someone having access to my home...
The DOG Nanny Group business is insured and bonded. Your keys are kept safely on your property – not carried by staff and the key we have on file is secured in our offices. Keys are not stored with your name and address; they are tagged using just the name of your pet. Codes for keyless entries are securely stored in our password protected software.
All of our staff is fully vetted, have a clear background check and undergo extensive training. We don’t hire anyone that we wouldn’t welcome into our own home to care for our own pets.
Do you offer Vacation Care and walks on holidays?
Do You Charge Additional for Holidays?
Can I have someone share pet sitting duties with my friends or family?
We look at “job sharing” on a case-by-case basis. While it is preferred for our sitters to provide all care during a reservation, we may be open to sharing the job with someone you trust. Communication is vital to providing consistent care, so we require contact information for the other individual. Should they prove unreliable, we will take over the remainder of the reservation. We want what is best for your pet and in our experience when duties are shared, things do not always go as planned.
What if I need someone last minute?
We love spontaneity! Once you are an established client and sitters know your pet and routine, we can likely service you same day. Last minute visits make keeping a key in a lockbox on your property a must.
Do you have a referral program?
Yes! We have a midday dog walk referral program! When a happy walk or vacation client refers a friend, family member, neighbor or co-worker, and that person becomes a year-round 3-5 walk per week dog walk client, we will give the referring client AND the new client each a $25 service credit after their first month of service. They must mention your name when booking their consultation.
Can my pets stay at your house?
Why do I have to show proof of vaccinations?
Vaccinations are required for the safety of your pet. In the event a dog or cat bites or scratches someone, a rabies vaccination will prevent the individual from having to undergo treatment. Other vaccines may prevent the spread of potentially deadly disease from one animal to another, and even protect The DOG Nanny sitters.